Wednesday, May 16, 2007

My Simple Pledge

Have you ever noticed how fast time seems to fly by you? In youth we seek comfort in living in the moment, in knowing that there will always be a tomorrow should something go wrong today. We take for granted everything we have so much that we fail to realize the possibility that it might not be there forever. We fail to realize that it's in those plain, mundane moments that we make the memories we'll carry with us for the rest of our lives.

I suppose I'm having this reflection because I'm in one of them right now; my humongous goofball of a little sister has me almost rolling over on the floor laughing. I was just taking a few minutes to check my e-mail and happened to be listening to "Come Away With Me" on my laptop. It was in the middle of this song that I happen to like very much that I suddenly hear Kathryn blurt from the kitchen: "Run away from me, in the ni-iiight, run away from me...." Needless to say, I was highly amused.

I realize that as time progresses some regret is inevitable; I do not, however, want that to define my life or let it decide my level of happiness. With that said, I will hereby make this simple pledge: to appreciate everything precious to me; to make sure everyone I love knows that I do every single day; to make time for the truly important; to bite my tongue when I want to run my mouth; to hold my head high when I feel like breaking down; to take chances; to laugh as loud as I want; to smell the roses along the way; to enjoy dancing to the music, even with the knowledge that the song eventually has to end.

No comments: