Saturday, May 12, 2007

Graduation Party & London Dilemma

So I went to James Farmer's graduation party Friday night. At first it was somewhat odd, because while a few of us had already arrived James hadn't come home from a job interview yet. His mother was very hospitable and welcoming - the spitting image of her daughter Jessica, in fact, whom I knew through a high school play I did a couple years back. It turned out to be a pretty enjoyable night; since most of us knew each other relatively well conversation was low key & pleasant, with that bit of strange humor that we all seem to always bring to the table.

One talk I remember having with my friend Andrew was about the London trip that we'll be embarking on June 4th. On the trip, two optional excursions are being offered: 1)Stratford & Oxford, and 2)Stonehenge & Bath. The latter I had just HAD to purchase because I would NEVER pass up an opportunity to visit Shakespeare's house. But the former? I mean, granted, I know I should be historically appreciative and everything, but when it really comes down to it... they're just stones sticking out of the ground! What's more, you aren't allowed any closer than nearly a football field away, and there's a gift shop over the hill that sucks up any magic of a site potentially capable of communicating with aliens built by an ancient people.

Having said that, I was then told of the alternative that would be offered me while the others had fun looking at the stones in the ground, something that I hadn't previously thought about... if I didn't go, I would be spending an entire day with Ms. Montgomery (Monty) - alone! From then on I realized that God in fact does exist, and he must hate me. It's not like any of us students don't know her very well or that we're uncomfortable with her in any way. What makes my choice difficult for me to make is twofold: for one, me being alone with one of my teachers is slightly strange, even if it is Monty. Second, some of my friends going on the trip & also associated with her in school sometimes tease me (either because it gets on my nerves so much or, GOD FORBID, it's true) through calling me "Mini-Monty" and claiming that she & I share certain similar characteristics. Nothing, by the way, makes my blood boil more than comparing so much of myself to someone else and thereby robbing me of my individuality - it's mine! Being similar to another person is one thing, but I am NOT and NEVER WILL BE a clone of my teacher! So that's my dilemma. I just don't want to have to give up valuable spending money for something that I'm not particularly excited about... would it instead even be remotely possible to just enjoy a day shopping in London & forget who it's with?

No comments: