Sunday, June 17, 2007

When I Must Leave You

This is a poem on the card my father gave me from my Gramps' funeral; his obituary is printed on the other side. It really means a lot to me... this last year especially I've faced some pretty tough times. They're not over yet, but I think I'm finally coming to a point where I feel like everything is going to work itself out. I have amazing people in my life, more going for me than I've realized, and much to look forward to.

When I must leave you
for a little while
Please do not grieve
and shed wild tears
And hug your sorrow to you
through the years.
But start out bravely
with a gallant smile;
And for my sake
and in my name,
Live on and do all things
the same,
Feed not your loneliness
on empty days,
But fill each waking hour
in useful ways,
Reach out your hand
in comfort and in cheer
And I in turn
will comfort you,
And I will hold you near.

No comments: