Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Twilight Fanbase: Revealed

Here I am on my lunch break, munching away on my salad and thinking about the trip to the store I need to make after work tonight. And somehow this ridiculously random brain of mine recalls the last time I was in the check-out line at Target, when I saw the DVD release of "Twilight"... which has brought forth the topic of my latest blog post.

So we've all heard of Trekkies and Comic-Con and of course the first images you get are of NWGs, or Nerds Without Girlfriends. Visions of pasty-faced tweens, teens and even adults dressed in homemade capes and alien masks come to mind... but just in case you need perspective on what I'm referring to, I list Augie Farks in the movie "Role Models" as a prime example - "The whispering eye!"

With all of the fantasy/sci-fi gamers role-playing their way to large conventions, I guess it's not all that surprising that a book about a teen and a vampire would gather a cult following.

Haha... and here I thought goth went out of fashion when Nine Inch Nails went techno. The Vampire Underground (or should I say "Vampyre Underground?") has been around since the 1970's and includes goths who may actually think they are vampires. They gather in the darkness, do rituals, drink blood, and hang around looking pale-faced and creepy.

Twilighters, fans of Stephenie Meyer's teen vampire series, are what I'd call Vampire Lite. They wear black clothes from Hot Topic and jewelry from Claires. They may wear scary black nail polish and fake Doc Martins. They stand in line waiting for the movie release, shivering with cups of Starbucks and chattering about how adorably sexy Edward Cullen is. Maybe they paint their faces white. Maybe they wear a leftover cape from Halloween. Maybe they even listen to music with explicit lyrics.

Twilighters are to the Vampyre Underground as Harry Potter fans are to The Lord Of The Rings (Don't get me wrong, I love Harry Potter and I think that JK Rowling is a brilliant writer). A Harry Potter Avada Kedavra curse and Lord Voldemort would pale in comparison to Sauron and Mount Doom. And a Twilighter would probably go screaming back to their Abercrombie and Fitch jeans if confronted by a real Vampyre.

I've dabbled in Sci-fi and Fantasy and I read Stephenie Meyer's Twilight books.... I thought they were "meh" at best. The story idea was respectable, yet marred by long drawn out beginnings and action only appearing in the last third of the book. Still, movie producers saw dollar signs in the new crop of Vampire Lite tweens needing something to tide them over until Harry Potter 6 comes out, and managed to crank out a decent movie after all. (The scenes were beautiful and the characters matched the book. But there was still a lot of staring and I wanted to yell out "Blink! Blink you obsessed idiots!" every so often.)

Perhaps I just don't get Vampire Lites, being that mentally I'm way past my teen prime and about over the twenty buzz. Besides, I think a mortal dating a vampire would be like me dating a donut... Many times I stare longingly at the donuts behind the glass, not daring to blink, and imagining what it would be like to sink my teeth in one.

No comments: