Thursday, November 8, 2007

Getting High on Life

I've been thinking a lot about Kierkegaard and Kafka these last few weeks (think philosophy)and that, among other more troublesome things, has gotten me distracted from typing away on this blog. You'll find that I'm like that sometimes. A thing crawls into my brain, not something tangible, but the intangible, and it plants a seed and starts to grow. It takes hold of me, screwing with me a while before becoming a part of me... or is it that I become a part of it?

Most of us out here in Americaland are Platonic, with the obvious exception of me of course (when am I ever normal?). So you all believe in something big. You think that there are right answers and there are wrong answers. This might not apply to all of you, but it does to most of you. And that's what separates you from people in other cool places like Europe. They tend to be Kierkegaardian in nature - Existential is the word. They, like I, like B-ridget Harman, wake up each morning and discover we have become big giant bugs.

While all you Platonists are "finding yourselves", discovering what you already know, all the rest of us are discovering we are something new each day, something different... which is kind of where I've been lately. I've become a bigger bug than usual and have been getting to know me again. It's like waking up and trying to figure out where you are, only you know exactly where you are, you just have to figure out who you are.

But oddly enough, there's a liking part that comes with it - you actually kind of like being the bug. You realize that you are something new. You are different than you were yesterday, than last year, than you were as a child. There's a high that come with this sort of feeling, a freedom, a power. So I've been riding that high. And it just so happens that this is keeping me just intrigued enough, even if only momentarily, to keep my mind from falling victim to insanity.

No comments: